If you’re looking for stylish and practical storage and display ideas for your small living room or lounge area, you’ve come to the right place. Here at iHUS, we design and manufacture garden annexes and many of our customers are downsizing from a larger home to live in one of our beautiful, self-contained garden annexes. So, we can offer plenty of practical ideas on how to make the most of a small space.
Nesting tables make the perfect side table for small living rooms. They’re the perfect place for a lamp and can be used to display framed pictures, ornaments and books. And the best part is, they don’t take up much room and can be neatly tucked away when not in use. We love this set of three nesting tables from Wayfair.
Floating shelves are a fantastic idea when you don’t have very much floor space. They look stylish, make a great wall feature and can be used for both display and storage. You can line the floating shelves with your ornaments, plants and books etc. or place small storage boxes/baskets on them. We think these Floating Wall Shelves from Oak Furniture House would look amazing in any small living room.
Sideboards and console tables are great for storage. Sideboards often have a combination of cupboard space and drawers. And console tables usually have drawers as well as space beneath to fit storage boxes or baskets. There are plenty of small sideboards, which would provide ample storage and display space whilst not taking up too much room.
Storage baskets are a big trend at the minute! They look stylish next to the sofa or beside the fireplace and can make a lovely feature in a small living room. Storage baskets come in a range of sizes, shapes and colours. They are great for storing everything from firewood or books to blankets or toys. We love this Patterned Seagrass Blanket from John Lewis.
Tiered Coffee Table
Coffee tables are often a statement piece in many living rooms. And in a small living room, a coffee table can provide a chic room centrepiece whilst provide storage and display space. Tiered coffee tables are particularly great as they have space on top for display and space beneath for storage.
Open shelving units offer a modern, clutter-free storage solution in comparison to large, bulky storage cabinets. Open shelving units can be purchased in a range of styles and sizes. If painted the same colour as the wall, open shelving will blend seamlessly with the rest of your small living room. Fill the shelves with a combination of plants, books, photographs, ornaments and storage boxes/baskets to get the most out of your open shelving units.
Storage ottomans are great additions to small living rooms. As well as looking stylish and giving you the opportunity to put your feet up, a storage ottoman also provides another seat for when you have guests round. And better yet, they’re great for storage! They provide plenty of concealed storage space, which can be used to store everything and anything. Books, paperwork, toys, blankets, cushions, board games, shoes… you name it, a storage ottoman can store it!
Top Tips For Small Living Rooms
- Choose Light Colours – When decorating or designing your small living room, be sure to avoid dark colours. Instead, opt for light shades that will brighten the room up and make it look more spacious. Soft creams, beiges and whites are great if you prefer the minimalist look. Or pale shades of greens, blues and greys look amazing in a living room.
- Use Wall and Ceiling Space – Wall space is as great for storage as it is for display. Add floating shelves with storage baskets, strategically place artwork, and hang beautiful plants from the ceiling. Also, fixing your TV to the wall can save a great deal of floor space as you won’t need a TV stand.
- Have Plenty Of Light – Small living rooms are best when they have plenty of natural light seeping in. If your living room is lacking natural light, brighten it up with lamps. Freestanding lamps are good for small spaces and look great when paired with a smaller table lamp.
- Keep It Cosy – The beauty of small living rooms is that they can be incredibly cosy and inviting if designed properly. Keep the room cosy by layering textures (throws, cushions etc.), having warm lighting and invest in a large rug.
- Choose Furniture Carefully – Having the right furniture can make or break a small living room. For example, a large, corner sofa is going to use a lot of space and make the room look cramped. Instead, choose smaller furniture with exposed legs. This opens up space and gives you extra storage space.
Get In Touch
Here at iHUS, we design and build luxury granny annexes. Our high-quality annexes are perfect for those looking to downsize. A granny annexe also provides a cost-effective alternative to elderly care. Our annexes are also great for first-time buyers trying to get on the property ladder. If you’d like more information about our granny annexes, get in touch.