Garden pods, often referred to as granny annexes, provide an ideal solution for older people wanting to downsize their homes and live closer to family members.
But what is a garden pod, what are the benefits for elderly people and how do you start the journey to building one? Read on to find out.
What is a Garden Pod?
a garden pod is another name for a granny annexe and is usually defined as being a structure, erected in your garden that is intended for living in. The construction of a granny annexe is more substantial than a ‘summer house’ or shed, will require planning permission and is equipped for year-round use.
Whether you call them garden pods, granny annexes or granny flats, the rise in garden living has been well documented over the last few years.
In 2015, the Daily Mail reported that in the previous two years, over 9,000 new annexes had been built and that there were more than 33,000 granny flats in England and Wales.
So with back garden living on the increase, maybe its time to take a look at some of the benefits associated with living in a garden pod.
5 Reasons Garden Pods are great for the Elderly
- There are financial benefits to living in a granny annexe. You can release cash tied up in your home and use the proceeds to live mortgage free. You will also benefit from lower utility bills when living in a smaller property – leaving you with more money to enjoy life.
- A garden pod lifestyle can help combat loneliness. If you are living on your own and can’t get about as much, a granny annexe in a relative’s garden means that you will always have company when you need it the most.
- Living in a garden pod means that you can take life a little slower too; with less housework and maintenance to do, your time becomes more leisurely and you can focus on the activities that you enjoy or just taking it easy.
- Living so close to relatives is a great alternative to a care home or care in your home. If you need help with certain tasks, like preparing meals, for example, then you will have relatives nearby to give you a helping hand.
- Your relatives will also feel the benefits of having you living so close to them; ageing parents can be a worry to many people but if you live in a granny annexe, your relatives can relax, knowing that they can provide care when needed and that you are safe.
Building Your Dream Granny Annexe
If you are already convinced about the benefits of downsizing to a garden pod or granny annexe, then why not get in touch and let us help you start your journey? iHUS specialise in modern, luxury annexes that are built for comfort.
The process isn’t as complicated as you may think either; when you choose a granny annexe builder like iHUS we take care of the entire process for you, from start to finish.
The design, installation and finishing touches are all completed by us, including planning permission which on its own can be enough to put some people off building an annexe. We leave you with the keys to your new dream home and free to enjoy the benefits of living in a garden pod.